POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 28 Aug 2002 20:58:02
Message: <3D6D7167.EA598FCF@aol.com>
Pandora wrote:

>     I think there is a need in POV for a more realistically modelled 'area
> light' (for the want of a better term) and John's Photon Challenge images
> neatly demonstrate why -

I was under the impression that he had adaptive supersampling (and probably
jitter) turned off , and the POV area_lights were probably not being used to
their best potential. I think everyone, at one time or another, has tried to
make their own version of a "real area light." My best attempt involved not a
grid but a randomized 3D cluster (using #while), and the shadows were nice and
creamy etc., and, of course, took forever.  But everyone realizes sooner or
later that area_lights are there for basically one reason - to provide soft
shadows in a reasonable amount of time, and I think, when properly used, they do
a great job.